HSE have released a safety alert regarding Mast Climbing Work Platforms involving failure to detect mechanical failure in drive units leading to uncontrolled fall of platforms.
You are advised immediately to check that the necessary control measures are in place for all MCWPs. If the control measures are not in place, you need to withdraw the MCWPs from use until you can ensure that:
– there is the means to identify a loss of mechanical integrity in each drive unit where this is the system to prevent falling with overspeed
– each individual drive unit is fitted with a mechanical device, eg centrifugal brake, that automatically prevents the work platform descending at excessive speed
– damage to drive units due to platforms being powered onto buffers/base frames is prevented
– platforms and associated equipment are not damaged by physical overloading
– thorough examinations, inspections and tests, and visual and functional checks are appropriately planned and carried out.
If you are in any doubt, please get in touch for advice.
T: 01706 355452 E: email@example.com
Read the full HSE safety alert here.